Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Robyn's Job

Before I arrived, I wasn't exactly sure what I'd be doing at the albergue. Interstingly enough, Joel knew he'd be working on various labor projects and he even knew who he'd be working with. I forsaw myself working in the school on campus and knew that I would be coordinating volunteers at the albergue.
Hayley, Sam (visiting dog,) and Erin
These girls are volunteering for 9 months

A few days after we arrived, the founder's wife, Vicki Miller, was diagnosed with kidney cancer and soon thereafter underwent brain surgery back in the U.S. Already, I had taken over all of the volunteer coordination, which includes communicating via email with prospective volunteers, interested groups and monitoring the activities and schedules of the other volunteers, here. However, I also took on a new task of helping with the administration of the albergue. Vickie usually was the sounding board for the albergue manager, Liz Bernuy. Now, I have been her sounding board and responsible for communicating back to the Millers. This responsibility includes a TON of meetings... long meetings... and more meetings. Already, I have learned so much about how the albergue runs and a little of what it takes to keep a ministry like this going. I have learned a little about the adoption process, the children's schooling, the new judges in Trujillo, and that Peruvians love meetings. The exciting part is that I get to be a part of the process in developing a new schedule at the albergue, implementing new programs for the children and helping to design a program for the older children at the albergue. This is all a challenge, but a wonderful way to help at the albergue.

I still try to get into Escuela de Miller, the on campus school. At night, I make the daily activities for one of the children in the school, Abel, who struggles with speech and learning. I also will help the teacher plan her curriculum for the next year. Hopefully helping her with more ideas on differentiation and individual learning goals for the children.

Escuela de Miller
Miss Aly and her class of great kids

I am amazed at the timing in all of this. God's hand guiding and leading us to this point... where we can be used beyond what we originally thought and help the Millers feel somewhat at ease as they struggle with their own health back in the states. It is a great feeling to know we are exactly where we should be. When times get tough or we start missing home, we are reassured of our purpose.